AZC Member Community Forum

Welcome to the discussion forum for AZC supporting sangha members. Here you will find topics relevent to AZC community and practice. Please check the forum guidelines for participating in the forum discussions topics. Deep bows of appreciation to all of you who contribute to making AZC a haven of peace and harmony in which to engage in the task of self-discovery through Zen practice. May we all realize our true nature, which is grounded in our inherent wisdom and compassion.

Notifications
Clear all

Using Imagination for conflict transformation

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@pat_yingst)
Topic starter  

I was quite taken by John Paul Lederach’s approach talked about under the topic of “The Practice of Rehumanization” in Roshi Joan’s book.   I love using the future as an approach to seeing the veils that obscure our view in the present.  One thing he speaks of is “grandchild imagination” – that our grandchildren and the grandchildren of our enemies may have an intimate and  common future I can’t think of a better example of This that the polarization around communism that was so important to all of us growing up in the 50s and 60s and 70s – the blacklisting – The duck and cover – all the propaganda which ‘othered’ Russia so that none of us knew anything real about that country.  And now – we work with Russians, we study with Russians, we adopt Russian babies, we elect them as leaders.  It’s really quite amazing – that a people once treated as so scary is so NOT.  What can this teach us about now? 

(@richard_graf)

Pat,

I like this part of the chapter too. When I read this part about “grandchild imagination” I thought about Dogen’s “grandparental mind” that he describes in the Tenzo Kyokun. It suggests our practice involves cultivating a mind of caring for the world including self and other. I suppose you have a point that it may even mean caring for our so-called enemies who may become our friends with time. I also thought about Norman Fisher’s book about the paramitas, The World Could Be Otherwise. He suggests that the practice of the paramitas involves imagining a better world than the one we are in and working in the world to create the conditions for that place.

ReplyQuote
(@choro_antonaccio)
Member Admin

I was really struck by Zoketsu Fischer’s approach to the paramitas through imagination. This seems pretty creative to me, for Buddhist teaching – we are always invoking reality. 

ReplyQuote
Share: