AZC Member Community Forum

Welcome to the discussion forum for AZC supporting sangha members. Here you will find topics relevent to AZC community and practice. Please check the forum guidelines for participating in the forum discussions topics. Deep bows of appreciation to all of you who contribute to making AZC a haven of peace and harmony in which to engage in the task of self-discovery through Zen practice. May we all realize our true nature, which is grounded in our inherent wisdom and compassion.

Notifications
Clear all

Integrity: Moral Nerve & Fannie Lou Hamer

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@richard_graf)
Topic starter  

In chapter 3 of Standing At The Edge about integrity, Roshi Joan shares her encounter with a great woman of integrity. Roshi Joan was an organizer for the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee in 1965. She helped organize a fundraiser and they asked Fannie Lou Hamer to speak. Roshi Joan wrote:

“As I listened to Fannie Lou speak, I was electrified. It was clear that her strong sense of integrity, her moral nerve, and her faith more than kept her going through the challenges she encountered. Her actions were aligned with her convictions. Although she didn’t put it this way, I am also sure she experienced no small amount of moral suffering-what person in her situation would not as she watched members of her community being disparaged, beaten and killed in the rural South?” 

Here’s a short PBS video about Civil Right activist, Fannie Lou Hamer:

Fannie Lou Hamer: Stand Up (PBS) 

This topic was modified 4 years ago by Richard Graf

(@richard_graf)
Topic starter  

Oops! I posted the wrong link to that video about Fannie Lou Hamer. Here’s the right link: Fannie Lou Hamer: Stand Up

ReplyQuote
(@choro_antonaccio)
Member Admin

Thanks for providing this Rich!

ReplyQuote
Share: