Practice Period is a time for creating a container that allows for deepening our engagement with our practice of studying the self and dropping the self, both internally and externally. To this end, AZC will be implementing some new practice period forms for the upcoming month.
Morning Program (weekdays)
- Extending the usual morning Jundo: after offering incense and offering 3 prostrations, the Doshi will walk around the zendo behind the meditators, in what is called the ‘kentan,’ or ‘inspection of the sitting platform.’ As the Doshi passes, meditators raise their hands in gassho without bowing; this joins Doshi and sitters in mutual acknowledgement.
- Morning zazen will include the use of the time-drum at the start of first period, and second period will end with the time-drum, han, and densho.
- We will chant the robe chant as usual, but it will be accompanied by the densho.
- Morning service will include chanting the Repentances and Refuges following the 9 bows.
Post-Zazen/Service Forms (for extending stillness and silence gathered in zazen)
- The bow with the Doshi upon exiting the zendo will be discontinued.
- Announcements in the circle will be decreased.
ALL are WELCOME to Join Our Regular Zendo Schedule during the Practice Period!